cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: What are the XSP design goals?
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2000 10:26:22 GMT
on 3/6/00 2:42 pm, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

<SNIP>

>> Just posting a reminder. It's not a question of catch up. Last I checked,
>> sun was refusing the BSD camp the same relatively generous license that
>> obtains for Linux. Hence, it's not as if we're 'permitted' to catch up....
>
> In case you didn't notice (slashdotted a couple of days ago), the Apache
> Software Foundation was elected part of the JCP "Executive Commitee",
> which is the body that controls the Java Community Process. We have a
> chair, Sun has a chair, IBM has a chair and so on. Each one has one
> vote. Sun keeps only power to "extreme veto".
>
> The ASF was recognized as "the" place for java open source technologies.

Ok, I'm head in the sand on this one. I've been reworking a site intensely
(while moving from Stockholm to Berlin :) ) in the past week. It's VERY
welcome news . . .

> By partecipating to the ASF projects and communities, you are actually
> capable (thru us, or directly if you like to be involved at a greater
> extend) of influencing "directly" the direction the Java platform will
> take.

I've always believed this, implicitly. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been using
Apache for all these years :)

> Believe me, _most_ of the ASF members are big BSD fans. (this is not
> anti-GNU shit, it's only a matter of OS stability and scaling
> capabilities). locus.apache.org runs on FreeBSD. I want to use Cocoon2
> on locus.
>
> You don't need to be a prolog guru to understand what the equation
> yields :)

:) Ok, as I've said previously, I'll chat with one of the NetBSD crew to see
if they can direct me as to what the actual state of the jdk for FreeBSD is
and what can / should be done.

As of last 2 months or so, the best progress had been a 1.1.8 release (which
is stable) . . .

Thanks and regards,

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim