cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: What are the XSP design goals?
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 18:14:31 GMT
on 2/6/00 6:23 pm, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

<SNIP>

> Sure you are.
>
> Here are my reasoning:
>
> 1) this project voted to keep C2's core Java 1.1 compatible and allow
> components to require Java 1.2. So, it's XSP a core component?
>
> 2) C2 core would greatly benefit from requiring Java 1.2 (to be entirely
> honest, I love Java 1.3 Proxies, but we can go along without them)
>
> 3) Tomcat-next will require Java 1.2 since Servlet 2.3 will require it
> directly from the spec.
>
> 4) The only reason for being Java 1.1 compatible is lack of a good BSD
> JVM (which is also recognized as most voted Java bug on the bugparade)
>
> If we aim for Java 1.2 and Servlet 2.2 everything becomes incredibly
> simple and all stupid hacks go away.
>
> So, what the hell, I propose we take this direction.

While I entirely agree with the intentions (and that eventual rewards will
obtain) . . .

> Note for the *BSD folks: lowering the fever doesn't automatically cure
> the disease.

Following the biblical injunction to 'Cleave off the offending limb' is not
exactly a cure either.

Let's face it, I may be the only person on this list who has a real-world
(ie, all my developers depend on NetBSD machines) concern but I'm certainly
not the only one who has to live with the necessity of dealing with
'legacy'.

I'm lobbying with NetBSD folk (I have a friend who was in the core) to add
steam to FreeBSD pressure, but, inexplicably, I've yet to see any sign that
sun is making things easier. If someone can correct me on that count, I'd be
a very happy man....

I know this plea is 'ultimately' doomed . . .

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.

Quem colorem habet sapientia?'