cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Timm, Sean" <ST...@mailgo.com>
Subject RE: Thoughts on a data-driven web site
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:25:31 GMT
So spoke Donald Ball [mailto:balld@webslingerZ.com]:
> > Donald Ball [mailto:balld@webslingerZ.com] once said:
> > > implement those generators as java library methods and invoke the
methods
> > > using taglibs. any reason you can't do that?
> >
> > That's the problem I'm seeing with XSP right now...it's an
all-or-nothing
> > choice.  I can't use XSP *and* my own generators.  I have to choose one
or
> > the other.  Why not both?
>
> That's the problem with custom generators - you can only use _one_ at a
> time. taglibs let you use many on the same page. you should be able to
> write a taglib that calls your generator. what's the problem with that?

Personal preference, I suppose...maybe I'm just not taglib-headed enough
yet.
 :)

> > This goes back to my previous email about XSP as a filter.  What if I
> > want to transform some XML I generate into XSP which can then be
> > processed by the XSP engine?
>
> i dunno. i don't think ricardo's implementation of XSP accomodates that
> terribly well.

Cocoon 1 supported it.  However, I see that the proposed solution to this
(see http://xml-archive.webweaving.org/xml-archive-cocoon/3337.html)
involved
subpipelining.  However, I don't quite see how this works in practice.  Was
this solution agreed upon?  If so, could anyone detail an example of this
for my own understanding?

Thanks!

- Sean T.