cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Cocoon2, War files, Xerces and beyond
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 03:20:41 GMT

Let me start with a provocative question: why does Cocoon 2, a product not
quite in alpha stage just yet, depend on experimental SAX APIs which are
not part of the standard and only present in xerces 1.0.3?

I agree that Cocoon 1, a stable mature product that people depend on,
should be rather conservative in what versions of dependent projects it is
certified to run against, but Cocoon 2 at this stage should be more forward
looking IMHO.

A few more reasons to look forward:

   Did you know that the next version of Tomcat will work with the next
   version of Xerces?  In other words, there exists the possibility of
   being able to run a complete system with only *one* XML parser?

   Did you know that Mike Pogue, Scott Boag, myself and others are working
   together to set things up so that compatibility between the various
   projects in general, and Xerces and Xalan is verified at a minimum on a
   daily basis?  In fact, I just checked and the current versions of Xerces
   and Xalan will compile cleanly from CVS and together.  Note: I can
   successfully include cocoon-1 in this, but I would much rather include
   cocoon 2...

   I'm pleased to see the evolution of Cocoon as a WAR file, and I see the
   discussion about what to add to the installation instructions in order
   to run with Tomcat.  I will gladly go one step further and commit the
   necessary changes to the startup.bat and sh files to the Tomcat CVS
   tree.  At a minimum, it could include the necessary changes commented
   out.  Better yet, if the commands are of the form:
     if exist %TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\foo.jar set CLASSPATH=...
   then this could be committed in an executable form.

By the way, in the bottom of my previous post concerning the dependency on
Xerces 1.0.3, I included a question: would anybody mind if I started
changing both the build process and the code (if necessary) for Cocoon so
that external packages such as rhino were optional?  If I don't hear any
objections, I may get started on this this weekend.

- Sam Ruby