cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] resource views, error handling, pipeline debugging
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:15:54 GMT
Ian Abbott wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Resource views
> > --------------
> >
> > A "view" is a different way to look at a resource. In fact, the above
> > metapipeline is a different way to look at the resource generated by the
> > pipeline.
> >
> > Another possible view is the load statistics for that resource.
> > Another possible view is the semantic model contained in the resource.
> > Another one is the xlink information.
> > And so on...
> >
> > I'm sure there will be many others in the future.
> >
> >  http://myhost/complex-semancics/hello
> >
> > will return the "hello" resource as HTML, while
> >
> >  http://myhost/complex-semantics/hello?cocoon:view="semantic"
> >
> > will return the "hello" resource as XML page with xlink and RDF
> > information. (the example is stupid, please interpolate a little by
> > yourself).
> >

> With user authentication somewhere in the sitemap,

...or in the servlet container, even better....

> could this be the
> basis for a Content Management System, with "reader" (default), "author"
> and "editor" views? We're still needing some kind of XML Schema / XML
> editing system, but this could possibly be the way into editing the
> documents, and also allow editing via different mechanisms (e.g. by
> WAP/lightweight-clients off-site, or heavy-duty browsers on-site).

An "editing" view.

Hmmmm, not sure this is what views are for... but maybe I'm wrong...
hmmmm....

> This is something I'd really love here, as I'd like our VFX producers to
> be able to update shoot notes from location, but right now I haven't got
> the foggiest idea where to start.

Hmmmm, I'll have to think about this offline... you are suggesting the
sitemap might not be balanced from a push/pull aspect of resources....
maybe you are right.... I'll have to think about this.... hmmmm....

> I'm familiar with all the XML family
> (XPath, XLink, XInclude, XForms and so on), but only just getting into
> Java and XSP development after a long time using Perl/DBI. I know what I
> need to do, just not how to do it yet. Of course, if someone is already
> working on the solution, it'd be nice to see it! :)

Well, this is what RT are for, trigger discussion on what's the best
percieved way of doing something and what needs to be done.

> Talking of CMS, how exactly will Prowler fit into all of this. I grabbed
> the JAR and I'm looking through things at the moment, but can this be
> fitted into the "viewer" proposals somehow?

I have honestly no idea :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.