cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon2 and dynamic site maps
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:46:57 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> > PS: What does FS stand for?
>
> Flexibility Syndrome - stefano thinks that "there's more than one way to
> do it" is often a bad idea. i concur, but not as wholeheartedly as stefano
> does. :)

No, no, no, no, no....

Flexibility Syndrome is when you add another dimension to your solution
space to fit a new problem without trying to rotate your previous
solution space versors to cover the new problem.

This -has- nothing to do with having more than one way (more than one
vector in your solution space) to do something.

I want this to be clear: while FS deals with the multidimensionality of
the solution space, the above deals with the topological metric of the
solution space.

My reasoning on FS is clear: you should not add unnecessary dimensions
to your solution space when you can rotate the solution axis to reach
the problem.

My reasoning on solution metrics is: very few solutions spaces are
conservative (means: no matter what path you take, you spend the same
energy to get there). This _automatically_ means there are only one or
few good paths.

Cocoon tries to fix the axis of the solutions space and create a metric
for you. Egocentric, true. Hard, ideed. But we don't claim to cover
_all_ possible cases, we want optimize our solutions space for most
cases possible but still minimizing multi-dimensionality.

Perl, in a different way, follows the same rules about FS but doesn't
give you a metric: you have to find it yourself.

Problem solving is a walk in the solutions space.

And minimizing walks is an incredibly onerous task.

This is why there are hiking trails.

There is only one difference in my view: many people, when there is no
path between A and B, they just try to walk their way thru the bushes.

I try first to rotate the mountain :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.