cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Bauer <j...@rabbit.co.uk>
Subject Re: Cocoon2 and dynamic site maps
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:15:25 GMT
Thanks for all the feedback on my question. I fully agree with your
on flexibility vs. software complexity. The fact that I can use a custom
sitemapper sounds like a good solution to my problem (I'll now have to
start
reading the Cocoon2 source).

One of the questions you guys had was 'Why do you need dynamic
sitemaps?'

I'll try and give a satisfactory answer:
On the server side I am building a system that stores all its
information
in XML. The system receives all data updates as XML and provides all
information as XML.

On the client side, users want to see the information in a formatted
way.
Cocoon will transform the XML data into the format desired on the client
side.

The desired transformations vary substantially and depend on the context
of
the request.
E.g.
- who is the user
- what browser / media (HTML, WAP, text) do they use
- how do they want the information formatted (personal preferences)
- what restrictions are imposed on them when viewing the data
- date/time of request (e.g. during work I'm only allowed to see
business
news items)
- physical location
and many more.

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that there are scenarios
in
which many different factors determine the final transformation
sequence.
To try and capture these setups with a sitemap is difficult.

Jorg

PS: What does FS stand for?