cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon2 and Dynamic Site maps
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2000 05:11:36 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > And what I miss, I can obtain with AspectJ.
>
> Uh, guess I missed this one. What is it?

Aspect Oriented Programming is a 'higher' level of programming than OOP. It  probably
has a highly academic background, of that I am not sure, but Xerox has implemented AOP
for Java, so called AspectJ (www.aspectj.org).

It allows you to define interclass rules in a pretty simple manner. You can, for
instance, define standardized parameter checking in all methods, overall exception
handling policies and much more, and AspectJ will add that code everywhere at compile
time.

The product has been around for more than a year, and is now getting stablized on
feauters, but I have yet to commit to it on production code.

Don't know if it will gain any wide popularity, but I believe that many companies will
introduce it as a quality improvement tool.

Niclas