cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject [C2] Separating components [was: Sitemap issues to solve]
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:03:45 GMT
Ross Burton wrote:

> > 1) Component Model
> > ------------------
> > The sitemap has the notion of a general component. I think might be
> > dangerous since it could allow cascaded sitemaps to "tweak" the
> > component installation and provide security holes. Since I don't think
> > sitemaps should deal with such high level components, I suggest we
> > remove the
> >
> >  <component>
> >
> > element from the sitemap and only leave
> >
> >  <generator>
> >  <filter>
> >  <serializer>
> >  <matcher>
> >
> > as possible sitemap components.
>
> So we have names like cocoon.xconf for the <component> tags, and
> sitemap.xmap for the actual sitemap.  Will cocoon.xconf specify a default
> sitemap, or will the be the responsibilty of the class creating Cocoon?

I've found an older mail concerning the separation of cocoon and sitemap
components.

Given I'm an ISP offering sitemap functionality to my customer. Would I
let them use their own components like parser, store, program-generator
and alike (any ISPs on the list)?

Given I'm a webmaster of a middle sized company offering sitemap
functionality to the development department for intranet solutions.
Would I let them use their own components?

My personal opinion in both cases is _no_. The reason is that I would
like to have the control over the core components used. This doesn't
mean I wouldn't be kind to integrate them in the cocoon.xconf in case of
the intranet dept.

In the ISP case the situation is more complicated. If I integrate custom
components is the customer willing to share them with the other sitemap
customers?

What are your thoughts about that?

Giacomo