cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts on a data-driven web site
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:53:52 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > I've been watching over this thread quietly but I have things to say.
> >
> > Different issues were raised:
> >
> > 1) Cocoon is XSP-centric
> > 2) XSP is generation-centric
> > 3) We don't have taglib filtering
>
> I think an even bigger nerve has been touched in this thread.
>
> Is content generation and styling at all related???

IMHO: no. I could not find (so far) an example where a complete
separation cannot be performed.

> Look at it for a second. In Cocoon 1.0, we could take XML _files_, and apply
> transforms/filters and then serialize it.
>
> In that case, what is "Content Generation"??

Wait! A generator doesn't generate "content", generates "SAX events".
Big difference. A parser and an sql taglib are both generators since
they generate SAX events from some resource.

I never said that generators generate "content".

> Opening an editor of some kind and create the marked up content.

Yes, but in a RDBMS who generates the content? sometimes millions of
transactions every day.

> But in fact, even in those days, I might have a virtual XML file, which looked
> static to Cocoon, but was in fact generated on the fly. But that was external to
> Cocoon, and not part of its 'scope'.
>
> Could it be that Cocoon's scope should be consolidated to its initial scope, and
> extensions, such as content generation be spun off separately??

no, this doesn't make sense: generators "cook" raw information into SAX
events with some embedded logic. That's is, that's all you need.

> Personally I believe so strongly in small components, that I think it is
> worthwhile considering. It would defintely simplify design in each of the two
> scopes. I also know that the 'outstanding' argument against it would be
> 'performance'.
> But to that, 'performance' is NOT everything. If it was, Cocoon would be
> developed in C as an Apache Webserver module.

which might well happen in a distant future...

Performance is not everything and sometimes is much cheaper to throw
silicon at a problem instead of profiling gurus.

So performance might not be an issue, but scalability definately is.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.