cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject Re: [C2] Sitemap revised again
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2000 18:40:21 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > --- Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Now, I propose to use the java.net.URL method to do this.
> >
> > Can we make the URLConnections classes pluggable as CocoonComponents (to define
a protocol like
> > sap://sapmachine.my.org") without restarting the JVM? If so, they should be plugged
in into
> > cocoon.xconf and not in sitemap.xmap because of security reasons.
>
> Hmmm, not sure if we can use the java API URL subsystem.... I'm afraid
> we have to clone our own to be able to have multiple cocoon instances in
> the same JVM and stand the classloading problems.... but I didn't get
> deep enough to answer on Java2. (for java1.1 this was definately not
> possible)

Ok, cloning URLConnection of standard protocols and writing new ones for
protocols not supposted by Java (ie CVS), right?

> > > 3) Matchers and Choosers
> > >
> > <snip/>
> > >
> > > Ok, you say, but this is going to be slow! Right, so here we keep going
> > >
> > >  public interface CompiledChooser implements Component {
> > >    public boolean evaluate(...);
> > >  }
> > >
> > > then
> > >
> > >  public interface ChooserFactory {
> > >    public String generateCode(String test);
> > >  }
> > >
> > <snip/>
> > >
> > > the matcher interface is similar to the Chooser one but different
> > >
> > >  public interface Matcher implements Component {
> > >    public Map match(String pattern, ...);
> > >  }
> > >
> > > and can follow the same compilable model for Choosers
> > >
> > >  public interface CompiledMatcher implements Component {
> > >    public Map match(...);
> > >  }
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > >  public interface MatcherFactory {
> > >    public String generateCode(String pattern);
> > >  }
> >
> > Now we have more than one Factory which generates or compiles code the next question
is "should we
> > compile the hole Sitemap"? I remember this was metioned some times ago.
>
> Not a big deal, the sitemap can be compiled into one class and each test
> into other classes.... the sitemap is compiled to call these other
> classes thru proxies that compile the tests when needed...

Why you propose to compile the tests when needed? Shouldn't they be
compiled when the sitemap will be regenerated and compiled?

> I know, kind of complex, but we need to take speed into serious
> consideration...

I can imagine thatthe complexity of the Sitemap class itself could be
reduced when it is generated into a java source.

Giacomo