cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nice article in german "Computerwoche online"
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2000 22:19:33 GMT
Sven Kuenzler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the german "Computerwoche" has a nice article about the ASF online:
>
> http://www.computerwoche.de/info-point/top-news/details.cfm?id=18410  (in
> german)
>
> I assume it also appeared in their printed version.

> - The ASF is building a powerful platform for web applications around their
> Apache server
> - Public is not so aware of the Apache activities compared to the excitement
> about Linux
> - Quoting Tim O'Reilly: "Linux enthusiasts should not focus on fighting
> Windows on the desktop market but rather choose the Internet as platform of
> the future"
> - Apache kept  HTTP "clean",  whereas Microsoft and Netscape would have
> tried to add proprietary extensions. The strong number of Apache
> installations prevented this.
> - Apache "gravity center" for free software
> - Description of Java, Jakarta and XML projects
> - Liberal license attracts industry players, whereas other OSS groups see
> problems arising from it
> - Open source as keeper of open standards in the XML world

Wow, brilliant analisys for such a general computer magazine.

Note: I don't speak german, but hey, at least I was able to parse it
since it uses the same italian character set (more or less)... then
semantic elaboration was not impossible given the high number of terms I
could find in my semantic network... everything else was interpolated
from my language understandings, poorly, I might say, but it was good
enough to understand the "positive" tone of the article.

It's incredibly how many things languages has in common once you look at
them from a real distand and abstract location.

It would be very interesting to study natural languages that underwent a
complete separate evolution from the occidental culture... who knows,
maybe the old incas language or ancient japanese... maybe it could give
us more abstraction on how we see things, giving us more points of view
of the same problems.

And maybe forests express something similar to natural languages but
their time scale, connection medium and semantic capabilities are so
different from ours that we don't even see it.

Sometimes is scary when you understand how much "egocentric" is our view
of the world.

But as a very wise old lady, award-winning italian cartoonist, very good
friend of mine, said to me recently: "you must venture into the abstract
land only so far and one step at a time. You have to go back to reality
and your antropocentrism everytime you go futher inland. You must not
believe your ego exists without your body."

I think this very wise suggestion is the real-life equivalent of our
flexibility syndrome.

And given the alienation and depression I've seen emerging in many of
the people that I've met over my latest years, I really hope I can use
such great patterns in both my life and my creations.

Sorry for the noise, people, but sometimes if feels good to express you
own feelings in a total random way...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.