cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject Re: Battleplan?
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:27:19 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi schrieb:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> > My proposal:
> > Define an interface that facilitates the use-cases specified below, and
> > implements Block.  The Main class uses this interface (just like any
> > other Avalon-aware system).  This maintains ease of maintenance,
> > and a consistent action for each method (it is not implemented in multiple
> > locations).  Cocoon still remains Avalon-aware, does not require an
> > Avalon installation, and has its own CLI.
>
> Yeah, I think that
>
>  org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
>
> should implement
>
>  org.apache.avalon.Block
>
> (so that Avalon can use it as a component and make it available to other
> composers).
>
> Cocoon2 will have has hooks for:
>
>  - servlet (already implemented)
>  - mailet (yet to be written)
>  - command line (yet to be written)
>
> the servlet hooks is implemented in
>
>  org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet
>
> the mailet hook should be placed accordingly
>
>  org.apache.cocoon.mailet.CocoonMailet
>
> as well as the command line (where the static main() method is)
>
>  org.apache.cocoon.offline.Cocoon
>
> Question: I'm not sure I like these names.... anyone has better options?

As I remember fop had something like:

org.apache.cocoon.apps.CocoonServlet
org.apache.cocoon.apps.CocoonMailet
org.apache.cocoon.apps.CocoonCLI

or maybe

org.apache.cocoon.access.CocoonServlet
org.apache.cocoon.access.CocoonMailet
org.apache.cocoon.access.CocoonCLI

> I do see the concerns, but this was already taken into consideration
> when we designed the Mailet API (yet to be finalized, BTW, so if you
> guys have comments and suggestions, please, join the JAMES community and
> help)

I'm on the list but couldn't help to anything of the last threads
concerning the packaging of the calsses.

> Anyway, let's not worry about this now, ok?
>
> Cocoon2 will be used 60% as a servlet. If we add mailet and command line
> we reach 99.99% that other 0.01% is block-behavior but I seriously doubt
> anybody will use that. Cocoon will mainly use Avalon services and
> components (it will mostly be a composer, rather than a component, its
> working interfaces being servlets, mailet and command line)

This sounds awsome :--))

Giacomo