cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Battleplan?
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:46:15 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> > the
> > >
> > > Yes, that's what I've remembered also. But I didn't remember who is in
> > charge of that.
> >
> > Just remembered - Paul Russel wrote the original offline component for
> > Cocoon 2.
>
> Yes, but someone said he will rewrite it using XLink! I thought it was
> Stefano but he told me his is not working on any code. So who is working
> on that code?

nobody is (AFAIK).

The problem here is serious: paul's code (which I do have integrated in
C2 on my disk) is clever but a serious hack: it interprets elements to
associate linking semantics to them. I find this bad and I think
everyone agrees.

XLink defines linking semantics, it doesn't pollute the schema and it's
standard.

The problem is that you need to have a _standard_ way to obtain a
"semantic view" of the resource you want.

This _requires_ the sitemap to contain information about how to create
this semantic view. This will also be required for semantic crawlers
such as SHOE (sorry, can't find the URL of this... search for RDF on
xmlhack).

So we need to find a way to express this semantic information in the
sitemap schema.

Result: we need to finalize the sitemap before offline generation can be
implemented.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.