cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Battleplan? [TRaX status]
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:40:56 GMT
Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:
> "Ross Burton" <> wrote:
> > XSP and XSLT are done.  Does anybody know how TRAX is doing?
> and
> > All of the above can be done using TRAX (except the bytecode one).
> Status
> on TRAX?
> Well, there are two things here.
> The first is the status of TRaX itself.  The TRaX mailing list has gotten
> very little traffic.  Right now the issue is how you might restructure the
> TRaX APIs to separate a SAX-based TRaX from a DOM-based TRaX  (right now it
> is very SAX focused, with a bit of DOM thrown in).  Keith Visco was going
> to make a proposal for this, but never did, so I may give it a try at some
> point.  If you are interested in helping with TRaX, subscribe to the
> mailing list, read the archives, and throw your two cents in.  You should
> ask Assaf about the serialization part of TRaX... I suspect it's pretty
> solid.  The bottom-line is it is likely that the current incarnation of
> TRaX won't be the last.  You can make it go faster and be better by getting
> involved.

I think you'll have feedback _after_ you release your reference
implementation, not before :)
> The second is the status of Xalan 2.0.0, which implements the current
> incarnation of the TRaX interfaces.  We were getting close to being able to
> release an alpha version, but got stuck on some needed rework of the XPath
> stuff, and have been stalled for a couple of weeks.  I think I'm almost
> over that hump now.

> Also, it has been pointed out to me that I shouldn't be working on Xalan
> 2.0.0 offline... the code should be checked into the CVS so that others may
> contribute to the effort if they wish, or simply explore the ongoing work.

.. and be able to give you clues about possible design mistakes -before-
you code 10000 lines of code on top of it :)

> The point is well taken (I'm still learning how to work with the open
> source cycle), so, regardless of the functional status of the code I'm
> going to be checking in the code on a branch in the next couple of days.

That's totally awesome!
> At this point, sad to say, I think the Xalan 2.0.0 code is about a month to
> 6 weeks away from beta status.  However, the code I'm going to check in
> will probably be OK to start the process in integration with Cocoon 2.0.0,
> and do some rudementary tests.  Or, you can wait, the choice is yours.  The
> transfer to the TRaX interfaces should be pretty easy.

I say we use Xalan 2.0.0 as soon as it's out. It doesn't matter if it
doesn't work 100%, we don't either. We'll evolve parallely, helping each

Also, TRaX should free us from this other contract about processing and
serializing which should further reduce our Cocoon2 code (and reduce the
effort duplication and bugs).

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.