cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] i18n in Cocoon and language independent semantic contexts
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:35:11 GMT
"N. Sean Timm" wrote:

> "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org> once wrote:
> <snip summary="Lots of good comments about i18n, which, while
> interesting, are not what my response is in regard to." />
>
> > Ok, but what can we do inside Cocoon without having to proprietarely
> > extend the XML specifications?
> >
> > Also, how can we simplify the sitemap evolution without compromising the
> > rest of the system?
> >
> > I think a possible solution is sitemap pluggability and compilation.
> >
> > You could think at the sitemap like a big XSP taglib that is responsible
> > to drive directly the execution of the resource creation pipelines.
> >
> > It would also increase performance, since matching could be optimized
> > and what not.
> >
> > It would also allow different sitemap schemas to be developped. In
> > theory, you could create your own sitemap schema.
> >

> YES YES YES!  We developed a custom sitemap processor for use with
> Cocoon 1, and I've been looking at what it would take to merge our custom
> stuff with the slight overlap that occurs in Cocoon 2.  I've been meaning to
> take some time to look at this before speaking up, but it looks like you've
> already come to the conclusion I would hope for.  :)

I still don't have a clear vision of this.

For example, stylebook used XSLT to simply sitemap generation from a
simpler schema. This resulted in nobody using the powerful schema and
all the functionality was simply hidden underneath.

We can't affort to do the same mistake over again.

Also, it could be a pain to train people on "Cocoon" if everything can
change from site to site.

Sometimes flexibility equals weak contracts and they may result in
slower evolution due to those "floppy" contracts.

But I'm not sure....

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.