cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Eric van der Vlist <>
Subject Re: Infozone
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2000 05:54:16 GMT
burtonator wrote:
> The reason I think this applies to the Java/Server-side world is that if
> you have a decent project, you should bring it under the ASF.  In the
> future most projects will be like this.  There are certain exceptions of
> course.  I would like to see Lucene and EJBoss under the ASF.

If you allow the view of an outside observer, I'd like to disagree here
;=) ...

I think monopolies are as bad for open source as they are for
"traditional" economies.

I don't want to criticize any of the Apache projects for which I have
great respect, but the fact that <> is that much more
visible than <> represents a risk for open

If <> wanted to start a new Cocoon framework, it
would have to be technically so much better than that
it's almost killing any possibility of competition.

At the end of the day, I don't think it will be beneficial to the open
source community if too many projects can "win" without having to be the
best technically...

Eric van der Vlist       Dyomedea

View raw message