cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Eric van der Vlist <...@dyomedea.com>
Subject Re: Infozone
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2000 05:54:16 GMT
burtonator wrote:

> The reason I think this applies to the Java/Server-side world is that if
> you have a decent project, you should bring it under the ASF.  In the
> future most projects will be like this.  There are certain exceptions of
> course.  I would like to see Lucene and EJBoss under the ASF.

If you allow the view of an outside observer, I'd like to disagree here
;=) ...

I think monopolies are as bad for open source as they are for
"traditional" economies.

I don't want to criticize any of the Apache projects for which I have
great respect, but the fact that <stefano@apache.org> is that much more
visible than <stefano@betaversion.org> represents a risk for open
source.

If <stefano@betaversion.org> wanted to start a new Cocoon framework, it
would have to be technically so much better than Cocoon@apache.org that
it's almost killing any possibility of competition.

At the end of the day, I don't think it will be beneficial to the open
source community if too many projects can "win" without having to be the
best technically...

MHO.

Eric