cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From burtonator <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: Infozone
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2000 01:10:22 GMT
Mike Engelhart wrote:

> on 6/9/00 6:27 PM, burtonator at burton@relativity.yi.org wrote:
>
> > bigger it can come under the ASF.  This is exactly what I did with
> > Jetspeed.  It was GPL and I changed it. :)
> I'm just wondering about that - is that legal?? Does the GPL say somewhere
> that the original developer can change the license or remove the license or
> essentially do whatever they want?  Then it really wouldn't be open source
> would it?? I remember that's what people on slashdot were bitching about
> when Apple release Darwin, the fact that there license says that at any time
> they reserve the right to take back their software, etc.

The group that holds the copyright can technically fork development at
any time... The old Jetspeed code is still available.  You can have it
if you want (it sucks though) under GPL.  I was the only person who held
a copyright at the time so I just forked it under a new license.

This can happen any project as long as ALL the authors agree.  The issue
is that it isn't really likely to happen and even if it did the
community can still develop on the old version.

Kevin

--
Kevin A Burton (e-mail: burton@apache.org, UIN: 73488596, ZKey:
burtonator)