cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Infozone
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2000 22:21:31 GMT
burtonator wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> <sniop>
> > > I certainly don't think this applies to the Java/Server-side world.
> >
> > I disagree. It's nothing about java or server side. If I were only
> > stefano@betaversion.org, I would be afraid of using BSD-style licenses
> > because of small companies stealing my stuff. BSD works very well when
> > you have a name. "Berkeley" for example... or "Apache".
> <snip>
>
> Yes.  The point in this case is that we have the ASF.  The ASF makes the
> APL possible in a Java/Server-side world.  Certainly if you are not
> under the ASF you should think out the situation.
>
> The reason I think this applies to the Java/Server-side world is that if
> you have a decent project, you should bring it under the ASF.  In the
> future most projects will be like this.  There are certain exceptions of
> course.  I would like to see Lucene and EJBoss under the ASF.

What's "lucene"?

About EJBoss: they came to us offering to donate their code. We said: we
have to think about it. They replied: fine, if you don't want us, we'll
go on anyway.

So Jon hosted them on cvs.working-dogs.com to watch them over time. I've
been told by several different people that EJBoss community is rather
messy and hard to deal with. Please, no offense intended, these are
things I'm just quoting, not my personal thoughts.

My only impression (when they approached java.apache for donation) was
not that good: the behaved like they "deserved" it.

About Kevin's idea of using the ASF as a rocket launching platform for
every java project on the server side... well, that would suck. It would
waste our name and tear the community in pieces.

This is why GNU has a strong license with no formal process and the ASF
has strong formal processes with a light license. To keep the name
valuable.

Apache doesn't incubate projects anymore: a project must be already
started to be hosted and must already prove its value by itself. (not
being perfect or even finished, but valuable and respected)

This is why we were afraid of EJBoss: the EJB open source community is
very fragmented and very unfriendly to each other... why is that? Do we
really want to stick our heads into that yet?

I myself helped to create or port _many_ projects under the Apache flag
(JMeter, Avalon, JAMES, Cocoon, Tomcat, Ant, FOP) and many more will
come in the future.

But if you look carefully from 30000 feet, there is a scheme: you can
see sort of Natzca pictures down below that cover the field of server
side technologies. But this is not a random collection and never will be
until I'm around.

> <snip>
> >   public final void Worker.run();
> >
> > in JServ's threadpool. Why? because I didn't want people to extend it
> > since all the thread handling facility was there and people could very
> > easily mess up (it took me months to debug it under all possible
> > circumstances).
>
> ug... damn.  I need a ThreadPool in Jetspeed about 4 weeks ago... wanted
> to reuse some other code but didn't think about looking at JServ :(   I
> wrote my own under Jetspeed... btw most methods there are final too :)
>
> I will check it out.

Another thing Avalon would have provided you :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.