cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: one more sitemap idea
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:05:24 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Hmmm, I need to think a little more about l10n... sure is something very
> important and tuning the sitemap to support it would not only be
> beneficial to web masters but to site users also.
>
> Any comment on this will be highly appreciated.

Just a clarification on the difference between l10n and i18n:
i18n refers to actually using different languages, which is what we are
talking about
l10n refers to language constructs and number/date representations specific to
a locale

Java does have the ability to render the same data in differing formats based
on
locale--so l10n won't be as much of a problem.  It can handle things like
Germans
represent their numbers like (5.000,25 for the english variation 5,000.25).

i18n presents more of a problem because of bugs in implementations and other
factors that make certain characters impossible to use for markup or send
properly
as a URI.  Cocoon will have to automatically take %20 and the like and convert

it as it comes in--especially when there are accent grave and other special
characters (cyrillic anyone?).

The FSF have a C library called gettext handles all their i18n needs.
Basically,
it defines a special kind of file that performs translations.  Reimplementing
something like this in Java won't be an easy task, nor would it directly help
C2
unless we want the error messages and Cocoon welcome page to be i18n and
l10n ready.

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World