cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From burtonator <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: Infozone
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2000 06:13:33 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Demo User wrote:
>
> Demo User???

:_)... that was me posting from JavaOne... for some reason they had
Netscape configured to ALWAYS post as "Demo User" and I didn't know it
was forced on me :)... funny though :)

<snip>
> > The other issue is the license.  We can't work with you in this
> > configuration... as Stefano pointed out.  Now there are three camps,
> > Jetspeed/Cocoon/Turbine, Proprietery solutions, and now Infozone :(
>
> I know, duplication in OSS is bad, expecially if not driven by different
> visions but only by licensing differences or "just happened that way".

I brought this up at the Open Source EJB BOF at JavaOne last night... 3
Open Source EJB projects?  Not a good idea :(

> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I'm thinking of using Prowler as CMS under Cocoon, of course.
> >
> > Honestly I would rather thing of it as Cocoon -> Jetspeed|Prowler.
> >
> > The interesting thing is that I am not sure how much Prowler applies...
> > in an OSS world.  Content syndication is very rare right now.... except
> > XMLTree.  Jetspeed has support for this in the Daemon package.  There is
> > a prototype plugin content subscription architecture in Jetspeed but I
> > don't see the need.  But then I am probably wrong as usual :)
>
> I honestly don't have a clue of what you're talking about...

Check out isyndicate.com.  They syndicate content from CNN, Reuters,
etc.  But they only do this for $$$.  It would work for Open Source but
only if there are more XML data syndicators that are "Open".  Open
Content will take a lot longer to happen than Open Source :(

> > > It would be awesome to be able to distribute such a thing together with
> > > Cocoon or Jetspeed, creating a sort of full-blown distribution.... but
> > > the license restrictions will force us to follow other ways.
> >
> > Yeah... a full blown app server has been pending for a while :)
>
> AAAHHHHH: second golden rule: _never_ mention "app servers" if Stefano
> is present. :)

app servers, app servers :)

<snip>

--