cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: one more sitemap idea
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2000 23:43:58 GMT
Neeme Praks wrote:

> > That was Spanglish (I'm a little rusty on my Spanish).  But basically,
> > that would work.  Now, going to your original suggestion, we could
> > rework it to be like this:
> >
> > <process uri="user/add" name="add-user" xml:lang="en">
> >   <request-parameter name="lang" value="${xml:lang}">
> > </process>
> > <process uri="kasutaja/lisa" extends="add-user" xml:lang="ee"/>
> > <process uri="usador/insertar" extends"add-user" xml:lang="es"/>
>
> yep, looks good to me.
>
> Now we need Stefano's blessing for this ;-)

Hmmmm, let's fragment this thread in its components:

1) readable (and easy to remember) URIs are better than meaningless
ones.

Totally +1 on this.

2) since people know different languages, an english URI is no
meaningful than one full of numbers. For point 1, this requires URIs to
be localizable.

+1 as well.

3) the current sitemap WD doesn't have any special feature for this,
being totally URI and language abstracted. Berin suggests this might be
common need and the sitemap _should_ incorporate localization features.

I won't vote on this for now.

Currently, the sitemap allows you to do

 <process uri="user/add">
  <resource name="add user"/>
 </process>

 <process uri="kasutaja/lisa">
  <resource name="add user"/>
 </process>

where the "resource" will look for the localization information sent by
the browser to understand what file to map. (this creates a problem with
localizing xlinks too.... hmmmm, not an easy thing)

But this assumes the browser sends the correct localization information
(which is normally the case, BTW).

On the other hand, the proposed tag inheritance is a very dangerous path
to follow, even if I agree that it's a very powerful model...

Hmmm, I need to think a little more about l10n... sure is something very
important and tuning the sitemap to support it would not only be
beneficial to web masters but to site users also.

Any comment on this will be highly appreciated.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.