cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Infozone
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:46:14 GMT
Demo User wrote:

Demo User???

> +1 for recognizing that EIPs are very important!  :)
>
> -1 for the current implementation :(
>
> For starters Jetspeed has been on the scene for a year already... 1.2 is
> right around the corner.
>
> I would rather the Ozone/Prowler team merge with the Jetspeed team.  We
> are trying to do the same thing in certain ways.  This has already been
> done with the pending iCalendar implementation, and PSML rework.
>
> The other issue is the license.  We can't work with you in this
> configuration... as Stefano pointed out.  Now there are three camps,
> Jetspeed/Cocoon/Turbine, Proprietery solutions, and now Infozone :(

I know, duplication in OSS is bad, expecially if not driven by different
visions but only by licensing differences or "just happened that way".

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> <snip>
> > I'm thinking of using Prowler as CMS under Cocoon, of course.
>
> Honestly I would rather thing of it as Cocoon -> Jetspeed|Prowler.
>
> The interesting thing is that I am not sure how much Prowler applies...
> in an OSS world.  Content syndication is very rare right now.... except
> XMLTree.  Jetspeed has support for this in the Daemon package.  There is
> a prototype plugin content subscription architecture in Jetspeed but I
> don't see the need.  But then I am probably wrong as usual :)

I honestly don't have a clue of what you're talking about...

> > It would be awesome to be able to distribute such a thing together with
> > Cocoon or Jetspeed, creating a sort of full-blown distribution.... but
> > the license restrictions will force us to follow other ways.
>
> Yeah... a full blown app server has been pending for a while :)

AAAHHHHH: second golden rule: _never_ mention "app servers" if Stefano
is present. :)

> > Also, I would like to ask you (note: just personal curiosity!) why you
> > felt the need to create yet another open source group instead of merging
> > efforts with us or the FSF.
>
> Just a rant... I have seen a lot of corporate OSS interest in creating
> their own OSS projects/groups.  They get venture, want to do open source
> and then have venture.org as their project umbrella.  IMO it is a VERY
> bad idea.  We are already here, have a strong community, and have been
> doing this for a while.  :)

These companies normally don't last more than two rounds of financing
anyway :-)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.