cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code formatting thought...
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:36:07 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I know this may be early to think about this now, but if we are
> doing server side compiling, why are we concerned about the
> format of the source code?
>
> In other words, if XSP is compiled behind the scenes and noone
> is really going to see the resultant code, why use a code formatter
> at all?
>
> The only reason I can think of is for debugging.

Yes. It is important to have a way to tell what's going on. Otherwise,
it's a huge blackhole.

>  But once an XSP
> page is properly debugged (and the system is properly debugged),
> then the JStyle code formatting becomes unnecessary overhead
> that only serves to increase the latency with the first access.

Well, on production server pages should be precompiled to avoid that...

> Is there currently a way to turn it off for deployment?  If not, will
> there be plans to do so?  I suppose, if we also had a method to
> cause the site to detect (via sitemap) all the XSP pages and
> compile them on startup that this whole question becomes moot.

Right.. we could tell cocoon to "prepare for final use" and it will do
that.

> Anyhoo, It's just a thought.

Good points. Very appreciated.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.