cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Code formatting thought...
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2000 20:48:22 GMT
I know this may be early to think about this now, but if we are
doing server side compiling, why are we concerned about the
format of the source code?

In other words, if XSP is compiled behind the scenes and noone
is really going to see the resultant code, why use a code formatter
at all?

The only reason I can think of is for debugging.  But once an XSP
page is properly debugged (and the system is properly debugged),
then the JStyle code formatting becomes unnecessary overhead
that only serves to increase the latency with the first access.

Is there currently a way to turn it off for deployment?  If not, will
there be plans to do so?  I suppose, if we also had a method to
cause the site to detect (via sitemap) all the XSP pages and
compile them on startup that this whole question becomes moot.

Anyhoo, It's just a thought.