cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Infozone
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2000 12:03:18 GMT
Falko Braeutigam wrote:

> Hi Neeme and all,
>
> from time to time the ozoneXML/Infozone/Prowler thing was mentioned here in the
> Cocoon list. Now I would like to announce the official release of the Infozone
> site at http://infozone-group.org.
>
> The Infozone project is an open initiative for the creation of an open source,
> Java and XML based framework of components that allows programmers to create
> complex Enterprise Information Portal applications.
>
> Check it out. All help is welcome ;)

Falko,

while I love that something like this happened, I'm a little concerned
about the license you guys developped. It's a hybrid between GPL and
BSD, contains both the BSD adversiting clause and GPL virality.

The ASF board of members recently ruled that no GPL/LGPL code can be
distributed with any of the Apache projects. Sure, we are allowed (and
suggested) to collaborate to other OSS communities that have different
licenses, but the users will have to download the other packages
themselves and connect the two.

I'm thinking of using Prowler as CMS under Cocoon, of course.

It would be awesome to be able to distribute such a thing together with
Cocoon or Jetspeed, creating a sort of full-blown distribution.... but
the license restrictions will force us to follow other ways.

Also, I would like to ask you (note: just personal curiosity!) why you
felt the need to create yet another open source group instead of merging
efforts with us or the FSF.

Anyway, I'll take a look at your projects with great interests and hope
that we can continue collaboration in the future.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.