cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon2 Design
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2000 11:52:41 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Neeme Praks wrote:
>
> > > Headers should be orthogonal to the HTTP action requested.
> >
> > sorry, you lost me here... "orthogonal to" means "independent of"?
>
> "orthogonal to" technically means perpendicular to, but in mathematical
> cirlces, yes, it's used to mean independent of.

Well, it's more precise than this: when you have "x" orthogonal to "y"
it means that you have two dimensions, or, more abstractly, two degrees
of freedom.

> one could say that
> elements in different namespaces are orthogonal to each other.

Exactly. Namespaces bring multi-dimensionality to
otherwise-monodimensional tree structures.

> stefano likes to overuse it though ;)

Overuse? it's just a matter of different semantic context... in fact,
"orthogonal" has a very precise sense, much more than "indipendent of".

> that and ergodic, though he's gotten off that trip lately. heehee.

:-)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.