cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From burtonator <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: Jdk1.3? was RE: WAR file
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:53:11 GMT
"Stevenson, Chris (SSABSA)" wrote:
<snip>
> Now I don't mean this as a troll, but sun have
> just released the JDK1.3 beta (with hotspot client
> and server VMs), the win JDK13 is released, there
> is an IBM 1.3 jdk, Apple OS/X will be 1.3 compliant
>
> BSD is the only major platform still waiting, and
> there are rumours of an alpha release... in the
> meantime there is linux emulation mode
>
> I have been biting my tongue at the 'we should be
> targeting 1.1' in deference to those stuck without
> 1.2, but it does seem silly now that 1.3 is so
> widely available, espescially since the performance
> and API improvements/bug fixes are so great...
>
> As a bleeding edge state of the art XML product
> cocoon2 should be targeting 1.2 - making use of
> the key improvements that can make our lives easier

I am -1 for requiring 1.3.  It is cool to target but not require.

The jump from 1.1 -> 1.2 is a big one due to the collections API, etc.
The 1.2 -> 1.3 jump isn't that big so I don't think we should limit
ourselves.

If you are on a cool OS (IE Linux) that SUN doesn't officially make
money on you aren't going to be fully supported any time soon. :)

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org