cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From burtonator <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon and Jetspeed
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:46:29 GMT
Neeme Praks wrote:
<snip>
> > (specified by portlet
> > theme for border
> >
> > This is covered by the use of controls and skins in the PSML file.
>
> I'm not 100% familiar with the current implementation of skins in
> Jetspeed, so correct me if I'm wrong here.
> The current implementation uses skins in the way that you pass some
> variables to the controller(?) and the "border" around the portlet will
> be rendered using some hardcoded (ECS?) template, inserting the
> variables (e.g. title color) where needed.
> Using XSLT instead of this method would allow me to _easily_ change
> (changing XSLT sheet) not only some variables, but the whole structure
> of the "border". Using some other tags instead of <TABLE>, for
> example... or putting title in the bottom instead of the top of the
> portlet content (don't know why, but still)... or changing the layout of
> the max/min/etc buttons...
> Much more powerful and easier for the deployer, I think.

Yes.  It is.  This is why we have XMLPortletController :)

The problem is that not everything will be XSLT aware.  ECS (at least
1.3.2) can't produce XHTML.  Some of the Portlets use ECS (which for
small things is fine).  I don't think this limitation is currently in
ECS any more.  The framework can still be fixed.

That said as soon as time permits the other PortletControllers will
probably be deprecated in favor of the XMLPortletController so that you
can have decent XHTML here.  The can controllers like
PanePortletController, ColumnPortletController, etc will still use XSL
but will also listen to the paramters.  You could still tweak them if
you wanted.

I agree.  It is a hack.  I don't like it.  Just time.  Hopefully I will
be paying a lot more attention to XML valid/correct documents.   It
might just also become a requirement :)

<snip>
> OK, sorry, I wasn't aware of the existence of XMLPortletController.

yup.  And if you are using 100% Cocoon it should work great. :)
Hopefully all this stuff will  happen sooner than later. :)

<snip>

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org