cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: What are the XSP design goals?
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 12:59:03 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > > Here are my reasoning:
> > >
> > > 1) this project voted to keep C2's core Java 1.1 compatible and allow
> > > components to require Java 1.2. So, it's XSP a core component?
> >
> > Maybe we could propose to make XSP an add-on?  Separate out the XSP
> > specific classes in an xsp.jar file (along with whatever else is necessary
> > to make it compile correctly).
>
> I'm not opposed to this. Anyway, once we solve the classloading issues
> in the core, this is not a issue anymore, right?

If we go the Java 1.2 route, then it wouldn't be necessary.  If we stay with
Java 1.1, then we are forced to do something like that.  It might even be able
to stand on it's own and be used outside of the context of Cocoon.

Anyway, I am still +1 on Java 1.2+ regardless.  If we can keep one coherent
cocoon.jar file, then I am +1 on that.

BTW, would XSP be able to stand on it's own outside the context of Cocoon?
If it could be easily adapted to work in other publishing contexts, then the code
I write as a user of XSP would be more portable.  Of course, If we can get JSP
to become like XSP then the whole need for the new standard is gone, and it
can be merged with JSP.  It's just a thought.