cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject Comments on Resource Management in C2
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 09:23:27 GMT
Hi all

I thought to write this proposal in response to the discussion of using
Context.getResource/getRealPath and alike for locating resources in
Cocoon2. Any comments are very welcome.

Preliminary notes:
A lot of ideas come from Stefanos sitemap-working-draft and I wouldn't
sell'em as my own ideas. I only tried to collect those thoughts together
in one place for discussion. The current sitemap proposal could be found
in the C2 CVS
under xdocs/sitemap-working-draft.xml.

I will also propose to add a attribute "mime-type" to the <read> tag to
make it a real binary generator/serializer to serve _any_ data directly
to the client browser from a resource. Or make it a reader component
which can be
parametrized with a reference to a mime-type definition file (somthing
like Tomcats main web.xml file).

Proposal:
The Cocoon 2 system should comply to the servlet spec 2.2. As for that
it should be able to be deployed easily as a war file. The sitemap
configuration file will be made available to the Cocoon 2 system with a
definition of

  <init-param>
   <param-name>configurations</param-name>
   <param-value>/cocoon.xconf</param-value>
  </init-param>

in the deployment descriptor. The path to the configuration file will be
relative to the ContextPath of the Cocoon 2 servlet. It should be
received by Context.getResource("/cocoon.xconf") (using the example
above). The path to the configuration file becomes the root of all the
resources mentioned in the sitemap. It is like a initial <mount uri="/*"
src:file="/Context-Path/Path-To-Sitemap-File/*"/>. The name of the
sitemap (cocoon.xconf in this example) will be used for all sitemaps
that gets mounted by the <mount> tag.

The <mount> tag describes a path to a "cascading" site in his "uri"
attribute and thus is _not_ rooted at the path of the sitemap containing
the <mount> tag (except if the "local" loader is used, see next
paragraph). If there is a sitemap found at the path the "uri" attribute
of the <mount> tag points to, it inherits all definitions (?or should we
only inherit components?) of the sitemap the <mount> tag was in.
Consider this as a recursive process.

As mentioned in the sitemap-working-draft.xml a concept of loaders for
different protocols (src:jar, src:file:, src:class) will be introduced
to load resources needed by the sitemap components. The "local" loader
is initialized with the root path to the sitemap it belongs to. All
other loaders have their own method to localize the resources they will
deliver.

Thus, if you look at these note it is not relevant (and I think not even
recomended) to use Context.getResource() in the loaders because it could
only be used for resources the "local" loader of the "root" sitemap will
deliver.

Now it's your turn.

Giacomo