cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Offer to help on Cocoon documentation
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2000 09:52:03 GMT
Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi <> writes:
> [ reasons why to use DocBook for docs ]
> > 3) we have HTML and FO stylesheets (Norman's)
> Norm's stylesheet are designed to handle every case you can think of,
> so they are quite complex. The Docbook DTD is not that simple as well
> and has to be parsed for default attribute values. So the XSLT takes
> some time (and memory).
> Last time I tried to use Norm's XSL HTML stylesheets, cocoon took
> about 20 seconds (and 20MB) for a HTML page to be delivered - a "book"
> containing little more thana title, a dummy preface comprising 10
> words and a chapter containing 3 dummy FAQs with answers. (Docbk XML
> 3.1.something, Apache 1.3.12, JServ 1.1, Cocoon 1.7.4, K6-2 300MHz,
> 128MB)
> So it appears you either have to use offline generation, heavy caching
> or heavy machines for DocBook.

Good points.

What about using SimplifiedDocBook for out documents and then transform
them into GeneralDocBook for printing?

Something like

 simpledocbook -> HTML
 simpledobbook -> generaldocbook -(*)-> fo -> pdf

Simply because the arrow with the star it's a pain in the ass to
write!!! Typesettings are not an easy job and should not be reinvented
every other day.

Norman, any thought?
> I tried official Docbook XML 4.0 and Norm's newer XSL stylesheets
> about a week ago - but Xerces/Xalan didn't want to parse
> something (stopped somewhere in Line fourthousandsomething). I can't
> remember just now. I can test it again within the next few days - if
> none of you is faster.

We should help where we can there.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.