cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What are the XSP design goals?
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2000 12:42:50 GMT
Mark Washeim wrote:

> on 2/6/00 8:35 pm, Berin Loritsch at bloritsch@infoplanning.com wrote:
>
> >> If we aim for Java 1.2 and Servlet 2.2 everything becomes incredibly
> >> simple and all stupid hacks go away.
> >>
> >> So, what the hell, I propose we take this direction.
> >
> > +2000 on that !)
> >
> >> Note for the *BSD folks: lowering the fever doesn't automatically cure
> >> the disease.
> >
> > +1 on that.
> >

> Just posting a reminder. It's not a question of catch up. Last I checked,
> sun was refusing the BSD camp the same relatively generous license that
> obtains for Linux. Hence, it's not as if we're 'permitted' to catch up....

In case you didn't notice (slashdotted a couple of days ago), the Apache
Software Foundation was elected part of the JCP "Executive Commitee",
which is the body that controls the Java Community Process. We have a
chair, Sun has a chair, IBM has a chair and so on. Each one has one
vote. Sun keeps only power to "extreme veto".

The ASF was recognized as "the" place for java open source technologies.

By partecipating to the ASF projects and communities, you are actually
capable (thru us, or directly if you like to be involved at a greater
extend) of influencing "directly" the direction the Java platform will
take.

Believe me, _most_ of the ASF members are big BSD fans. (this is not
anti-GNU shit, it's only a matter of OS stability and scaling
capabilities). locus.apache.org runs on FreeBSD. I want to use Cocoon2
on locus.

You don't need to be a prolog guru to understand what the equation
yields :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.