cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What are the XSP design goals?
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 23:37:33 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Ok, the main constraint is Java 1.1, if we remove that, all classloading
> > problems are instantly removed and we can have our own beautiful
> > classloader with all fancy strings attached.
> >
> > If not, there is no way out: you have to modify your classpaht.
>
> Aha!  This is the first time I've seen anything reasonable proposed in that
> regard.
>
> > > I am
> > > trying, as best I can to help C2 blow the socks off of everybody who
> > > has used C1.  Those of you who spend a fair amount of time in the
> > > Cocoon-users list *know* that one of the sticky points is setting up
> > > C1 correctly with XYZ servlet engine.  There is always the problem
> > > of where to stick the jars and which classpath to set, and the inevitable
> > > issues with classpath ordering and the multiple XML parsers out there.
> >
> > The installation procedure should be improved, I'm totally with you on
> > that. "how" is the real issue.
> >
> > > We have the potential to be able to aleviate 9 out of 10 questions by
> > > making C2 behave as a servlet.  I want to be able to upgrade from
> > > C2.0 to C2.1 without restarting my web server.
> >
> > Oh, shit, that's a nasty one :)
>
> *Technically, if the servlet is auto-loadable, by overwriting the old jar
> in WEB-INF/lib, the old servlet will finish handling whatever requests
> it has, and new requests will be handled by the new servlet.

That's right.

> My understanding is based on the O'Reilly Java Servlets book--exact
> location is fuzzy 'cause its been a few months since I read it (and it's
> already out of date--based on Servlet 2.0 spec)--that the auto-reloading
> functionality that I just described is one of the core design principles
> behind the technology.

I think JServ's classloader isn't able to reload jars (well, never did
on my system anyway and couldn't make it do it), but maybe the Tomcat
folks fixed that. Sam?

> > Here are my reasoning:
> >
> > 1) this project voted to keep C2's core Java 1.1 compatible and allow
> > components to require Java 1.2. So, it's XSP a core component?
>
> Maybe we could propose to make XSP an add-on?  Separate out the XSP
> specific classes in an xsp.jar file (along with whatever else is necessary
> to make it compile correctly).

I'm not opposed to this. Anyway, once we solve the classloading issues
in the core, this is not a issue anymore, right?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.