cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Offer to help on Cocoon documentation
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 23:27:21 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Pete Farmer wrote:
> >
> > [deletion happens]
> > >
> > > Do we post documentation changes/patches/additions here?  I want to get
> > > involved with beefing up programmer oriented documentation / JavaDoc
> > > improvements, and (of course) do not have privileges to update CVS
> > > (or even an account).  How do we incorporate our work?
> >
> > good point. Is there a process in place? I don't know. I emailed Stefano
> > some changes directly - but felt kind of guilty about it, since he
> > obviously gets so much mail anyway.
>
> As I've been elected as "Master of the Release Keys" ( ~:) you can send
> me the diff to approve them (can you produce diffs, ie. cvs diff
> >mail_to_me)

That would be awesome, thanks.

> > It seems that there are a couple of goals here, which I *think* are
> > prioritized thus:
> >
> > 1) get as much documented as we can - I'm working of a earlier post where
> > Stefano said 'urgently needed are HOWTOs, FAQ, etc' - which I believe
> > still holds true, for the most part.
>
> Yes!
>

> > 2) Cocoon should build its own docs. Which means currently that we focus
> > on .html and .pdf output, using tools from within the project - eg FOP for
> > the .pdf stuff, rather than older sgml tools.
>
> Ehm, I don't know if Cocoon can build its own docs _now_?

No, C2 can't until we implement the offline capability.

> > 3) Stefano seems keen to get the stuff in DocBook - meaning
> > standard DocBook v4.0, which has just been released.
>
> A question to Stefano: Do we replace Stylebook with DocBook?

What to you mean? Stylebook is a program, DocBook is a DTD.

If you mean: replace current DTDs with DocBook, yes, that's the plan.

Why? Well, mostly because:

1) it's a very complete DTD and documentation is free and very good
2) almost all projects are converging to use DocBook for documentation
3) we have HTML and FO stylesheets (Norman's)
4) allows us to generate a "book" out of "article"'s (a full PDF, like
the Xerces folks did)

There are Cons, as well, but I would like to test how a -real- DTD works
for open documentation.

Anyway, as usual, this is my personal opinion, not a project statement.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.