cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject XSP Installation Proposal (was RE: WAR file)
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:08:23 GMT

"Stevenson, Chris (SSABSA)" wrote:

> > For adding .jar files... the order is important. Xerces
> > should be called
> > first due to reasons explained in the install docs.
> >
> > set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\xerces_1_0_3.jar
> > set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\fop_0_12_1.jar
> > set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\js.jar
> > set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\jstyle.jar
> > set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\svgv_0_8.jar
> > set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\xalan_1_0_1.jar
> > set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\cocoon.jar

Why is that?  If I don't use XSP, then everything else works fine by
letting the
servlet engine pull everything dynamically from the WEB-INF/lib
directory.
If cocoon.jar is not in the main CLASSPATH, XSP does not work.  To me,
this is a serious inhibition to making this thing work with an easy
install.

I experimented a little, and to get http://localhost/cocoon/hello and
http://localhost/cocoon/simple-page.xsp to work, I only needed to
put xerces, xalan, and cocoon in the main classpath.  When I tested
my FO page, I had to include the fop jar to make it work.

When I did not have cocoon.jar in the main classpath, everything else
auto-loaded fine--BUT, and this is a big but, XSP did not work.

Before you start responding to my next question with merits of
technology,
I want to preface that the question is in regards to servlet loading.
What
does XSP do that JSP doesn't that forces it to be in the main CLASSPATH?

What I mean by that is that the Tomcat JSP implementation does not
require
the JSP engine to be in the main CLASSPATH--it is automatically loaded.

If there is a technological reason why XSP cannot be reachitected to
allow
it to run in the auto-loaded version (cocoon.jar in WEB-INF/lib--not in
the main CLASSPATH), then I propose that we separate out the offending
classes into a separate jar file.  We would then have C2 create the
cocoon.jar
file _and_ an xsp.jar file.  The install instructions would require the
xsp.jar
file to be in the main CLASSPATH, and cocoon and all the other support
jars can remain auto-loaded.

I must say, the benifit of just dropping a directory into Tomcat (or any
other
servlet 2.2 compliant system) cannot be underestimated.  It will reduce
the
number of "I can't get this $(%@ working!" questions in the lists.