cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Stevenson, Chris (SSABSA)" <ch...@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject RE: Jdk1.3? was RE: WAR file
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2000 00:45:43 GMT
> > Now I don't mean this as a troll, but sun have
> > just released the JDK1.3 beta (with hotspot client
> > and server VMs), the win JDK13 is released, there
> > is an IBM 1.3 jdk, Apple OS/X will be 1.3 compliant

> I am -1 for requiring 1.3.  It is cool to target but not require.

> The jump from 1.1 -> 1.2 is a big one due to the collections
> API, etc.
> The 1.2 -> 1.3 jump isn't that big so I don't think we should limit
> ourselves.

What I really meant was target 1.2. As you said, 1.3
is mainly bug fixes and (major) performance improvements
over 1.2. (Aside: It is *so* good to finally have a JDK
release which favours fixing bugs over introducing new
ones - looks like Java is *finally* stabilizing...:)

> If you are on a cool OS (IE Linux) that SUN doesn't officially make
> money on you aren't going to be fully supported any time soon. :)

Hmmm.... from sun's developer webiste:

"J2SE v 1.3 for Solaris and Linux now available for
download. Includes both Java HotSpot Client and
Server Virtual Machine and numerous enhancements."

If they are going to put our (linux) support on a
par with Solaris, then I for one am not going to
complain :-)

By the way, the above seems stable, fast, and
complete. I beleive it was co-developed with
Caldera.

And of course, they also recently announced:

"java.sun.com, May 23, 2000
With its latest port, the JavaTM 2 Platform,
Enterprise Edition is ready for developers
on the Linux platform..."

-- Chris Stevenson ----------------------- SSABSA --
Senior Secondary Assessment Board of South Australia
60 Greenhill Road, Wayville SA 5034, Australia
email: chris@ssabsa.sa.gov.au
phone: (08) 8372 7515
  fax: (08) 8372 7590