cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Stevenson, Chris (SSABSA)" <ch...@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject Jdk1.3? was RE: WAR file
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 01:45:11 GMT
> If we can use Java 1.2 then we can plan on getting this fixed
> and keeping
> XSP as a core package, otherwise we see about possibly moving
> it out to a
> seperate package?

Now I don't mean this as a troll, but sun have
just released the JDK1.3 beta (with hotspot client
and server VMs), the win JDK13 is released, there
is an IBM 1.3 jdk, Apple OS/X will be 1.3 compliant

BSD is the only major platform still waiting, and
there are rumours of an alpha release... in the
meantime there is linux emulation mode

I have been biting my tongue at the 'we should be
targeting 1.1' in deference to those stuck without
1.2, but it does seem silly now that 1.3 is so
widely available, espescially since the performance
and API improvements/bug fixes are so great...

As a bleeding edge state of the art XML product
cocoon2 should be targeting 1.2 - making use of
the key improvements that can make our lives easier

and preparing for an early adoption of Merlin
(asynchronous IO!!!!) in the next developer only
incarnation (cocoon3 anyone? :-)

chris.

-- Chris Stevenson ----------------------- SSABSA --
Senior Secondary Assessment Board of South Australia
60 Greenhill Road, Wayville SA 5034, Australia
email: chris@ssabsa.sa.gov.au
phone: (08) 8372 7515
  fax: (08) 8372 7590