cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Neeme Praks" <ne...@one.lv>
Subject RE: one more sitemap idea
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2000 15:36:56 GMT

[snip]

> We could also go hog wild with a complete i18n and l10n
> implementation...

I'm not familiar with i18n and l10n, although the terms keep popping up
constatly. Can someone make a sort explanation of these?

> But, if we want to keep it simple (+500000 on that), your
> second suggestion
> will probably be the best.  I'm not sure what the advantage
> of using the
> xml:lang attribute would be here.  It adds unnecessary
> verbosity and doesn't
> add any known benefit.

well, I was thinking of it as an aid for the sitemap admin and sitemap
authoring tools...

> If your purpose was to pass the attribute to your stylesheet, then we
> probably
> ought to have a way to add parameters to the request.  Something like:
> <request-parameter name="xml:lang" value="en"/>, but you
> could also do that
> in the URL itself.

I didn't think that far, but this makes perfect sense... So I don't need
a some silly querystring variable to determine the language... I just
type the URL in that language and get what I need... Whoa, I love this
solution ;-)

> Here's a crazy thought--feel free to shout it down--XSLT has
> a mechanism
> to create attribute groups that you can apply in multiple
> spots in your
> stylesheet.

"attribute group"? Can you explain the concept a little bit more? (I
probably should go to W3C site and update my knowledge about the latest
X* standards...)

> If Sitemap had a way of specifing an <process> inheritance
> heirarchy, your example would be restated like this:
>
> <process uri="user/add" name="add-user">
>   <!-- your processing tree here -->
> </process>
> <process uri="kasutaja/lisa" extends="add-user">
>   <!-- Anything specified here overrides the root description -->
> </process>
> <!-- for simple aliases, you would have an entry like this: -->
> <process uri="usador/insertar" extends="add-user"/>
>
> Will this be insane or what?

well, yes... this could be a solution...
how would you add the language parameter then? Something like this?

<process uri="user/add" name="add-user">
  <request-parameter name="lang" value="en"/>
  <!-- your processing tree here -->
</process>
<process uri="kasutaja/lisa" extends="add-user">
  <request-parameter name="lang" value="ee"/>
</process>
<process uri="usador/insertar" extends="add-user">
  <request-parameter name="lang" value="{what language is that, looks
like spanish or something?}"/>
</process>

Not sure about the implementation, though ;-)

Neeme