cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <pati_giac...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Docs with Docbook
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:15:38 GMT
Hi Uli

--- Hans Ulrich Niedermann <niedermann@isd.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know what the current state of the docs are, but I have two
> remarks about the C2 docs.
>
> 1. Doc conversion to Docbook
> ============================
>
> Yesterday night I created a "raw" XSL stylesheet to convert the
> document stuff into Docbook. The stylesheet is not equisitely
> engineered, I just hacked it to work on most of the C2
> sitemap.xml. The <anchor> and <jump> elements still need to be
> resolved.

I've choosen the old document.dtd for the sitemap.xml because the infrastructure to build
the html
pages were there (stylebook). I don't know exactly how stylebook works and if there are
stylesheets which we can use to render the pages. If so maybe we can write another stylesheet
transform the older stylebook stylesheets to make them process the DocBook DTDs (almost as
for
those tags we use within our documentations).

> <!--
>   document2docbook.xsl
>
>   XSL stylesheets that transforms XML documents conforming to the
>   "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation Vx.yz//EN" DTD into XML documents that
>   (hopefully :-) conform to the "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1//EN"
>   DTD.
> -->
>
> 2. How to build the docs from XML
> =================================
>
> Eventually, we will probably build our HTML, PDF, whatever docs out of
> our XML stuff using C2. As we probably do not want the docs to require
> a working installation of C2 in order to read, we should build them
> from XML into static HTML/PDF/whatever files. I don't know what C2's
> offline capabilities are today, but a few days ago, I wrote an Ant
> task class that calls Xalan to perform an XSL transformation. We could
> use this in the mean time.

As for now C2 is not capable to be used offline. Maybe stylebook can be (easily) changed to
handle
the DocBook stylesheets (or maybe C1). I also think that the HTML docs have priority over
the PDF
ones because we should be able to put those onto the web ASAP.

> If someone could give me some hints, I could also try to get the FOP
> stuff working with C2 instead of writing another Ant task for FOP.
> Unfortunately I can't find a written overall overview about the C2
> architecture so I don't know where to start.

Can you explain what do you expect from a "C2 overall architecture overview" (is it another
documentation candidate)?

Giacomo

=====