cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject Re: Pulling the HTML out of CocoonServlet
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2000 05:41:57 GMT
Hi Willie

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 09:32:56PM -0400, Willie Wheeler wrote:
> Hi Giacomo,
>
> 	Can you explain the idea of contexts here in more detail?  Are the contexts
> just the different targets to which the XML could be transformed?  (I am not
> familiar with SOAP, sorry.)

Cocoon will be used in different contexts. Mostly in the HTTP environment but also as mail
creator, or atthe commandline to generate some documents.

> What would the API for the abstract
> context-neutral class look like?  If I understand you correctly,
> CocoonServlet would delegate to an ErrorReporter, which contains the
> hardcoded HTML (or whatever other formats we output to).

The idea is not very concrete. I first thought of an simple CocoonException every Exception
that should arrive the calling environment is based upon (something that we as developer must
make sure). Based on the environment, cocoons can be configured to use a subclass there of
for rendering the error message (as an web page, as a mail, ...)

> Is it important
> for end users to be able to modify/customize the error messages that Cocoon
> displays?  If so it might be better to use a server page and XSLT, as
> opposed to a Java class.

Not, realy. It is good to use an interface/abstract class in the core cocoon and have a subclass
be defined for a specific environment. If someone doesn't like it, he can change almost the
java class.

> 	Let me know what you think.  And if you already have some concrete plans on
> how to proceed, tell me what they are so I can get started!  :-)

No concrete plans, just thoughts.

Giacomo