cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <pati_giac...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Battleplan?
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:40:47 GMT

--- Ross Burton <ross.burton@mail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems to me that development on Cocoon 2 has stalled.  In an attempt to
> stop this, I'm bringing up another battleplan.
>
> This was Pier's battle plan in April:
>
> > A) Engine:
> >    - Completion/cleanup of the engine interfaces
> >    - Cleanup of the sitemap code, with better (fixed) support for URI
> >      matching and rewriting
> >    - Review of the whole org.apache.arch.* packages and synchronization
> >      with the main Avalon/James trunk
> >    - Enable dynamic generator compilation loading
>
> The merging of the Avalon code is being looked at by Berin Loritsch.

Yup.

> However, the engine needs a rewrite due to the new sitemap.  Is the sitemap
> schema finalised?

I wanted to implement the stable part of it but discussion about those sitemap parts has been
flamed up again. So I'm on stand by until there has be reached a consensus :(

> > B) HTTP Servlet:
> >    - Better integration with Tomcat/Servlet 2.x (with x>0)
> >    - Better handling of engine creation, errors ...
>
> Boring but essential.
>
> > C) Offline/Caching Functionality:
> >    - Write it :)
>
> A patch exists but is due to be re-written using XLink (correct?).  Once the
> new sitemap is up and running, this should be easier.

Yes, that's what I've remembered also. But I didn't remember who is in charge of that.

> > D) XML Utilities:
> >    - Double, triple check compliance and conformance of all XML utils
> >      expecially those converting from SAX->DOM and adapting SAX1->SAX2.
>
> There are bugs in DOMBuilder (it breaks when a DTD is in the SAX stream).
> DOM -> SAX seems to work however.

As we come to the conclusion to support only SAX/DOM 2 are those SAX1->SAX2 adaptors still
necessary?

> > E) Root components:
> >    - Object Store: define better the interface and implement it so that
> >      we can keep instances of stored objects between restarts
> >    - Cache Manager: do something :)
> >    - Parser (we should need to write a JAXP adapter - kinda easy)
>
> We have an object store from the XSP implementaion.  A cache is needed.
>
> Ricardo was expressing a need for DOM methods in the parser -  I too would
> like this as SVG is DOM based too.  At the moment I have to use Xerces, not
> the abstraction.
>
> > F) Generators:
> >    - File/URL generator (ParserGenerator)
> >    - XSP (or better dynamic generator creation/loading)
>
> XSP is done.  I have somewhere a minimal HTTPGenerator (it's about 5 lines)
> which seems to work fine.  Really this should be generalised into a URL
> Generator.

Whats a HTTPGenerator?

> > G) Filters:
> >    - XSLT Filter (based on XALAN)
> >    - TRAX Filter (used as a pluggability API, TRAX can access different
> >      filters, depending on the configuration)
> >    - XSP Taglib Filter
>
> XSP and XSLT are done.  Does anybody know how TRAX is doing?

I do not have any experience with TRaX. The site mentioned version 0.6 still alpha but cocoon
2
still alpha, too, so, should we go that way?

> > E) Serializers:
> >    - XML bare serializer
> >    - HTML bare serializer
> >    - TEXT bare serializer
> >    - TRAX serializers (again using TRAX as the pluggability API)
> >    - Java Bytecode Serializer (that's scary!)
>
> All of the above can be done using TRAX (except the bytecode one).  Status
> on TRAX?
>
> > F) Documentation:
> >    - Internal architecture description (basic concepts to allow other
> >      implementors to understand how components should be developed)
> >    - Installation HOWTO
> >    - Sitemap HOWTO (can this be integrated into the Installation HOWTO?)
> >    - XSP manual
>
> Well, we all hate docs so these can wait!  :-)
>
> We need to consider how Cocoon 2 can be used from other applications.  Kevin
> Burton (no relation!) is interested in using Cocoon 2 in JetSpeed, so he can
> throw some input in there.
>
> I'm working on SVG serializers and filters at the moment, but once they are
> done I will do my best to chip away at the work to be done!
>
> Let's build up a comprehensive todo list and stick it on the site - I'm sure
> there is more to add here but I don't have the time now to dig through my
> archive.

Yes, and have a status page which states Who works on What and how's the status of the work.

Giacomo

=====