cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: What are the XSP design goals?
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 18:07:50 GMT
Apols for being so quiet people - serious Cocoon catch up going
down this weekend, I promise.

> Sure you are.
>
> Here are my reasoning:
>
> 1) this project voted to keep C2's core Java 1.1 compatible and allow
> components to require Java 1.2. So, it's XSP a core component?
>
> 2) C2 core would greatly benefit from requiring Java 1.2 (to be entirely
> honest, I love Java 1.3 Proxies, but we can go along without them)

+1. Worth it for java.lang.ref and the classloader stuff alone.
Particularly bearing in mind our revised release schedule.

> If we aim for Java 1.2 and Servlet 2.2 everything becomes incredibly
> simple and all stupid hacks go away.

Indeed, and one of the main reasons for starting afresh with C2
was to do away with 'stupid hacks'. Even though (obviously) I
want as many people as possible to be able to use C2, I'm not
inclined to cut corners to do so.

> Note for the *BSD folks: lowering the fever doesn't automatically cure
> the disease.

Has anyone considered talking to the folks at Blackdown and
finding out if they'd be willing to help build jdk for BSD?

Luminas Ltd.