cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Burton" <ross.bur...@mail.com>
Subject Re: Manipulating SVGs
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:23:55 GMT
[snip]

> XSP perform as generators, not filters. Generators are responsible to
> _create_ something. Filters are responsible for modifying what is
> already there.

Thought so - I was trying last night to hack the XSP design into doing what
I wanted, but it wasn't working.

> > What I need is a mixture of the two.  This is where my mad idea came
in -
> > JavaScript.  If one of the parameters on my SVGFilter was a "execute"
> > parameter, the value of which was Javascript code, I could use Mozilla
Rhino
> > to execute this code.  If I give the JavaScript engine access to a SVG
> > document and the Request object, arbitary and complex JavaScript could
be
> > written to modify the document, create new elements and change text to
> > create dynamic images (similar to Flash Generator).

> Nah, SVG has built-in dynamic capabilities that these are _client-side_
> things. And should be kept so.

Maybe "dynamic" was the wrong word, and comparing to flash was also wrong.
By "dynamic" I meant "response to request parameters", not "animated".
Flash Generator will take a Flash file with markup (something like
%USERNAME%) and replaces text.  That is part of the functionailty I am
after, but I also want transformations and addition of objects if possible.

[snip]
> Be careful on one thing: SVG is a final language because it contains no
> semantic information. Once you transform something into SVG, there is no
> way back: all text is text, all arcs are arcs. The only semantic
> information is graphically based.

I would create a markup language which is transformed into SVG, but in the
particular field I am working on the SVG files are adverts created in
Illustrator, so there is no semantic information worth keeping!  :-)

I'm going to carry on thinking about this on the train...

Ross