cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Burton" <ross.bur...@mail.com>
Subject [C2] Sitemap and Request parameters
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:18:20 GMT
Hi,

I really should get some sleeping pills - I cannot sleep at the moment and
end up laying in bed thinking about everything...

Suppose I am running a news web site on Cocoon 2.  Being sensible it is
possible to access any days news by entering the correct URL, for example
http://www.groovynews.com/2000/06/15/ will show the news for today.
Obviously XSP is going to be used here to retreive the data.

At the moment, I can see this working by the XSP code breaking the URL down
into components, validating it and using the individual values to build a
query.  But why should the XSP know the URL structure?  I think it should
just work from parameters in the request, something like this: (in a mix of
sitemap languages)

<process match="/\([0-9]\{4\}\)/\([0-9]\{2\}\)/\([0-9]\{2\}\)/">
    <set-parameter name="year" value="$1"/>
    <set-parameter name="month" value="$2"/>
    <set-parameter name="day" value="$3"/>

    <generator name="serverpages" src="/dailynews.xsp">
    <!-- filters -->
    <serializer type="html"/>
</process>

(anybody know a syntax-highlighted regexp editor!?)

The XSP code build queries based on the values of year, month and day; which
are in the Request object.  These variables are also available in the XSLT
phase.  The regexp also handles validation of the URL - it must be
/xxxx/xx/xx where x is 0-9.

Is this a good idea? Or just FS?

Ross Burton