cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <James.David...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: JDOM - moving to jdom-interest@jdom.org
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 00:36:33 GMT
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Jason Hunter wrote:
> > If scoped namespaces can be handled efficiently, they'll be included.
> > If handling scoped namespaces is extremely onerous and slow, then they
> > may not be included, at least by default.  It wouldn't be unprecedented;
> > I'm strongly suspect the Apache server has a few places where they
> > violate the HTTP spec for the sake of speed.  I *know* Tomcat does.
>
> No way. Roy would have our guts for garters if we did that!
>
> My understanding is that Tomcat is not intended to run standalone except
> for testing, so standards compliance is not so important.

Pretty much. It violates the standard primarily because it was put
together in a quicky hack one night and it was fully intended for it to
get ripped out and replaced by something that was HTTP/1.1 compliant. It
didn't happen before it went public, and the rest is an open book.

--
james.davidson@sun.com