cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 03:03:21 GMT
On Mon, 22 May 2000, Jonathan Stimmel wrote:

> <dons flame-resistant garment>
> I love the direction that cocoon2 seems to be taking, but I'm becoming
> a little disillusioned with it. From the outside, it seems to have a
> very clear direction, but when I look under the hood I become frustrated.
> Frequently I find myself asking, "Why was it done this way?", with nary
> a comment for explaination. (Yes, I realise that this is part of the role
> of the mailing list, but shouldn't it be more concerned with *making*
> design decisions, rather than reiterating them?). Overall, I'm left with
> the feeling that I'm looking at a collection of hacks, rather than an
> organized software project.
> <reverts to street clothes>

In what sense do you find cocoon2 disorganized? terribly documented, i
grant you, but i find the infrastructure to be quite clean and reliable,
and it's very easy to develop new components once you know what interfaces
are good for what.

if you want a good mini project, that might be a good place to start -
document the major interfaces and classes in the cocoon2 package. what
they're good for and how they should be used. for possible inspiration,
the XInclude and SQL filters are pretty vanilla extra modules. I'd _love_
it if ricardo were to check in the XSP filter that is a work of art. I
mean, the filter API isn't going to be changing much, right, so why not go
ahead and check it in?

- donald