cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [wanna laught?] Microsoft invented XML
Date Sun, 14 May 2000 23:00:32 GMT
On Sun, 14 May 2000, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> "Kevin A. Burton" wrote:
>

> > Message to SUN:  "Please Open Source Java!"
>
> -1 on that.
>
> Sun has the desire and $$$ to protect Java in the court rooms when
> attempts are made to crush its promise. Which OpenSource project has
> ever gone to court over licenses, how about Sun, and how many times has
> MS (and others) ignored licenses, to crush opponents?
> Those questions should be asked before requesting Java to become
> OpenSource. After all, Open Source is a method to improve code, and you
> are free to do so, and your work could be for the gain of all others.

I want Sun to open the source to their JVM and turn control of the JVM and
core API specifications over to a standards body for further development.
Open source isn't just a method to improve code, it's a method to ensure
that I'm not tacking myself onto a potentially sinking ship. Open
standards are a way of ensuring interoperability.

- donald