cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [Cocoon 2] Regex matchers :-)
Date Fri, 12 May 2000 17:32:24 GMT
On Thu, 11 May 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Ross Burton wrote:
> >
> > Take the (hopefully soon) common scenario of a traditional HTML web site
> > which has a rather horrible structure to it.  They kick out the old server
> > and replace all of the content with XML in Cocoon 2 and a structured
> > extendable URI space.  However, many people have links into the old URI
> > space which need to be maintained.  So Cocoon 2 should accept an old URI,
> > and send a redirect to the client, so that they go to the correct new page
> > and are informed of the new URL (the location changes).  I think that this
> > needs to be addressed in the sitemap somehow, maybe with a <redirect> block
> > along with the <process> blocks.
> >
> > Hmm....
>
> Hmmmm, I see your point...
>
> Anyone else about this?
>
> I think you touched a very important point I tried not to touch before:
> site migration. While the goal is to make the sitemap simple and
> effective, you are right that normally people have to migrate one site
> into another, possibly doing URI-space rearchitecting without breaking
> usage and creating floods of broken links.
>
> I'm wide open to suggestions on this.

We'll need regexps for this for sure. :) I think that yes, there should be
a redirect block that matches an incoming request and can issue a new
request into the sitemap on behalf of the original. E.g. so that I can do
something like this:

<process uri="/b-ball/(.*)\.html">
 <redirect uri="/basketball/$1"/>
</process>