cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject XInclude processor submitted
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 04:52:32 GMT
I got sick of not having any generic inclusion functionality in cocoon1 so
I backported the XInclude filter from cocoon2 to be a new processor in
cocoon1. It works as one would expect, with the following caveats:

1. Namespace support is a bit kludgy since the DOM2 namespace API routines
don't appear to be working properly with Xerces (!) and I had to write my
own. Why, oh why is this? Is there a feature one must turn on?

2. When resolving relative locations, if an XMLBase attribute is active in
the current context, the file will be resolved against that URL, otherwise
the file will be resolved against the location of the source resource in
the local filesystem, not the requested URIspace. discussion on this is
welcome.

3. I haven't read the xpointer or xlink specs very carefully and the
xinclude spec is internally inconsistent. _my_ implementation of an
xpointer parser operates on urls like this:

href="foo.xml#xptr(/root/child)"

corrections are welcome.

4. circular inclusion checking is not supported.

5. caching is effectively disabled (this should be relatively easy to fix
though).

6. CDATA parsing is not supported.

7. Xerces always complains that it can't load a schema for the included
documents, even though validation is turned off. suggestions welcome.

all that aside, i think this is a pretty handy module. give it a spin if
you have the time so we can see how portable it is.

- donald